Saturday, March 6, 2010

Student Teaching

My student teaching is going great! I am constantly engrossed in content literacy with my students. My action research involves students reading business content news articles and working through the text in jigsaw groups. I have taught the students different reading strategies and vocabulary techniques. Through reading Readicide I have followed along Gallagher with the Article of the Week. After watching him actually implement this technique/strategy I have been able to similarly carry out the same strategies within my business classroom.
My students are currently learning about Cyber Ethics and have been extremely receptive to reading articles that relate to their lives directly. I am now stuck with the problem of getting the students to stop discussing one subject topic and move to the next!(good and bad). Through this experience I have realized I need to set time limits for the students when reading the articles (but at the same time be cautious that all the students do not read as quickly as others) and when each group is discussing their particular article.
To be honest I have not done anymore research for reading class but thankfully my action research and my literacy research go hand in hand! So Sunday Funday will now be Research day, GSTEP day, and TWS day...
See everyone in class Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Casie!
    Great to hear an update! I agree about the time issue. Sometimes it's hard to tell students you only have this amount of time, because like you said, some students just take longer. I've struggled with that on different assignments as well. I love that article of the week idea. I don't think I'll be able to really do it in the classes I have now, but I want to implement it later in my teaching! I'll be anxious to hear more about that from you! See you Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar issue when I did Article of the Week. The students wanted to keep talking about one thing when it was time to move on to the next and I had to reinstate the raising of the hand to speak rule, because whenever we were talking as a class group, several students would be talking at once. So it was a bit chaotic, but it was nice to see them animated. Usually they are just working on the computer and the students really enjoyed the change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great to hear that your student teaching is going so well. I wish I had the same experience when I had an article for my class to read. They did not want to do it. It ended up being a good jumping off point for the lesson, but I did have students who tried to rebel. I guess if I start doing articles every week then it would go over a little better. I hope things keep going well and that your students keep enjoying the things you plan. See you tomorrow.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it interesting that your students were so eager to talk! I am so glad the article of the week has caught on in your classroom. Have you noticed your students bringing you articles? Sometimes they will adopt the habit outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely tough to keep the discussion moving forward in a direction that you, as the teacher, had planned on beforehand, especially when a class is eager to discuss. But I think it's great that Readicide provided you (like me) with ideas on how to promote literacy is a deeper way in the classroom. Right on!

    ReplyDelete